This village of three hundred people is located in the southeast corner of
Wysox Township, a township of land scarcely surpassed any where in the country
for its general adaptation to farming purposes. The original village plot was
laid out May 19, 1850, and entered of record by Knox and Wheeler. Philander
Seymour was the surveyor. Oscar Freeman's addition was laid out February 7,
1854, and was surveyed by L. S. Thorp. The land on which the village is situated
was patented by Adam L. Knox. Adam Knox built a flour and grist mill here (on
Rock Creek) as early as 1839, and A. H. H. Perkins opened a store in 1843, and a
post-office was established in 1844, with Jacob McCourtie as postmaster. A. P.
Barnes was the first tailor, and John Campbell was the first blacksmith. There
are now two dry goods stores, two drug stores, a foundry and machine shop, three
blacksmith shops, a good carriage shop, etc., a good hotel, and a very handsome
Methodist Church edifice. During the last year (1877), a handsome and
substantial school building (frame) was erected, at a cost of between $6,000 and
$7,000. In the Summer of 1876, a substantial iron bridge, King's patent, was
built across Rock Creek, at a cost to the township of $2,000.
In every respect, Milledgeville is a very desirable and attractive village. The
people are intelligent, courteous and hospitable. The farms around are in good
condition, the farmers wide awake and full of energy, and evidences of thrift
and comfort are apparent on every hand.
Milledgeville M. E. Church - The first class meeting was held in James
McCreedy's barn, about three quarters of a mile southwest of Milledgeville, on
the farm now owned by Aug. Moeller. The members of this class were as follows:
Joseph Allison, Rebecca Allison, Isaac Marker, John T. DeGroff, Lucinda DeGroff,
James and Polly McCreedy, Isaac Mason, Fisher and Jane G. Allison, Dorcas
Estabrook, and about three others, whose names the writer was unable to
ascertain. Of these, only four are now living - Fisher and Jane G. Allison,
Rebecca Allison and Dorcas Estabrook.
On the 19th of February, 1855, Chester Olmsted and George W. Harris started to
Chicago to buy lumber for the church building, which was put up by George W.
Harris, and was completed at a cost of $3,500; was dedicated February 8, 1866;
sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Hitchcock.
Names of pastors: Revs. A. M. Early, Isaac Searles, R. L. Averill, B. C. Rawley,
W. P. Jones, B. H. Cartright, Boyd Low, M. Decker, M. Bourne, M. Hannah, Z. D.
Paddock, S. Guyer, O. Hutchins, A. W. McCausland, F. R. Mastin, M. L. Rice,
James Willing, Joseph Wardell, G. W. Perry, R. Brotherton, A. P. Hatch, J. T.
Cooper, and C. E. Smith, present pastor.
The first school taught in Milledgeville was taught in a private house, by Miss
Miriam Whitney, daughter of old Dr. Whitney, of Belvidere, in the Summer or Fall
The first school house built under the school law was built in 1852, costing
The present school building was built the past year. The contract was let June
16, 1877. It contains four rooms, and is a fine, commodious building, costing