Center Hill


Connect With Others
Look-Up Volunteers
Family Outlines
Vital Records
Pictures & Postcards

The Center Hill Cemetery is about half-way between Mt. Carroll and Savanna on Rt. 52/64.

There are quite a few burials.

The Center Hill United Brethren Church is next to the cemetery. The address is 14201 US Hwy 52, Mt. Carroll IL 61053.

An article in the Prairie Advocate newspaper, 29 Oct 2003, announced the 146th anniversary of the Center Hill church.  The articles says that in 1857 the Bickelhaupt's, George Meister and John P. Fulrath families came to Illinois and settled in the area.  Land was bought from John Fulrath and in the spring of 1874 the Schauts and John Patton along with other church members built the church.  

Also next to the cemetery is an historic marker telling about the Lewistown Trail.

From the Mt. Carroll Mirror-Democrat 09 May 1974

Center Hill Church Celebrates 100th Anniversary

Nearly 125 people crowded into Center Hill United Brethren Church last Sunday, May 5th, for the 100th anniversary celebration. The history of the church, located between Savanna and Mt. Carroll on Route 64 dates back more than 100 years.  The first pastor for the Mt. Carroll Circuit was assigned in 1857-58. The people met in a school house until the first church was built at the present location in 1874.

A variety of items composed the interesting program. Rev. Cecil Smith, Sterling, and Rev. Dorold Coppernoll, Fennimore, Wisc., both former pastors, addressed the congregation. Rev. Chaney Bergdall of Rockford also gave a greeting. Rev. Larry Beverly is currently pastor of the church.

Mrs. Evelyn Bergdoll gave a history review of the Women's Missionary Association. Mrs. Marion Harr talked on the Ladies' Aid and honored Mrs. Laura Fulrath, age 97, as the oldest living member of the Center Hill Church and the Ladies' Aid group.

Nellie Smith spoke on Christian endeavor and Mrs. Lillian Newman told of various historical incidences in the church. Mark Nicklas spoke about early evangelistic services and several letters of greeting were read.

Frank Newman and Loyal and Mildred Siedenburg performed musical numbers.
After this program the congregation sang a song, without accompaniment, in the spirit of the early church.

In conclusion, Bishop Raymond Waldfogel of Huntington, Ind.; addressed those gathered in the church.

The group which traveled from throughout Northwestern Illinois to attend, enjoyed pictures and other historical items after the ceremony.

Current officers and committees of the Center Hill Church area:

Administrative board: Pastor Beverly, Mark Nicklas, George Bergdall, Edna Brunner, Gladys Siedenburg, Loyal Harr, Frank Newman, Glen Brunner, Louis Decker, Alvin Siedenburg, Donetta Brunner, Daryle Rockafellow, Evelyn Bergdall, Marian Harr, Alta Rockafellow and Harlan Brunner.
PERSON RELATIONS COMMITTEE: Pastor Beverly, Mark Nicklas, Wilma Brunner and Daryl Rockafellow.
W. M. A. OFFICERS; Evelyn Bergdall, president; Fern Natt, vice president; Marian Harr, secretary, and Alta Rockafellow, treasurer.
CHURCH AFFAIRS COMMITTEE: Pastor Beverly, Mark Nicklas, Harlan Brunner, Gladys Siedenburg, George Bergdall, Marian Harr and Alta Rockafellow.
SUNDAY SCHOOL OFFICERS: Harlan Brunner, supt.; Frank Newman, associate; Lillian Newman, secretary; and Grace Getz, treasurer.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Pastor Beverly, Nark Nicklas, Harlan Brunner, Frank Newman and Evelyn Bergdall.
TRUSTEES: Loyal Harr, Frank Newman, Glen Brunner, Louis Decker and Alvin Siedenburg.
FINANCE: Pastor Beverly, George Bergdall, Edna Brunner, Gladys Siedenburg and Henry Brunner.
LADIES AID OFFICERS: Alta Bockafellow, president; Virginia Weber, vice president; Nellie Smith, secretary; and Emeline Keeffer, treasurer.