seminary; to young women of energy and character, to work their way, earning
their own education. There are, at this writing, above forty in this department
doing all the manual labor of the institution, except the work of one laundry
woman, one cook, and a matron. Thus, with the "Teachers' Provision," giving time
to those needing, and the manual labor provision, the way is open at this
institution for any young lady of good ability, with energy and perseverance, to
secure an education to fit herself for a sphere of usefulness.
A Department of Telegraphy was established in January, 1878, largely for the
benefit of a class of young women who wish to prepare for something that may
enable them to be self-sustaining. A competent and experienced telegraph
operator has charge of this department, and makes the course not only complete,
but thoroughly practical, thus fitting a class for some other sphere of
usefulness of business than teaching.
In 1859, the Neosophic Society of the seminary established the first literary
periodical of the school. It was to be sustained by the voluntary contributions
of the students and conducted by a corps of editors elected by the students, and
to be issued monthly; eight pages, each page 14 by 16 inches, of four columns to
each page. The printing was done in the office of the county paper for about a
year, at the end of which time the principal bought the office and complete
fixtures and removed the same to the seminary, where the Seminary Bell was
printed by the students, George R. Shaw, of Galena, a practical printer and
student of the school, being foreman. The war was in progress, and during 1862
the call for volunteers took away the foreman. The expenses of running a paper
were largely increased. War news was about all the public cared for, and a
complication of circumstances led to the suspension of the Seminary Bell. The
war still raged and there was no certainty when it could be resumed. The press
and material would deteriorate in value if kept, and the principal decided to
sell the entire office while prices were high. For six years the school was
without a printed paper. In 1868, the Oread Society established a monthly
journal, quarto form of 16 pages, which has steadily grown till it now comprises
28 pages, including a neat cover. The exchanges furnish ample matter for a
A fact worthy of note is that this school has never resorted to the practice of
nearly all others, in employing agents to solicit pupils and funds. Never have
the principals asked a person for his or her patronage. Never has an agent been
employed for such a purpose. Never has a dollar been donated to the enterprise
by the public except the sum of about one thousand dollars in stock, elsewhere
noted, and the original five acres of ground where the seminary stands. Of this
the principal and present proprietor really had very little benefit, except of
the five acres of ground, from the fact, as elsewhere shown they paid the full
cost of the furniture.
Industry and economy were necessary to these accomplishments. These were
exercised without stint. Not a tree, a shrub, or a vine, was planted on the
grounds that was not planted under the supervision of the wonderful genius,
whose magic touch made the Mount Carroll Seminary rise from chaotic confusion
unto magnificence, splendor and usefulness.
PRESENT BOARD OF INSTRUCTION
F A Wood Shimer, principal; A. C. Joy, associate principal and teacher of senior
classes; H. Shimer, A.M., M.D., lecturer on natural sciences, anatomy and
physiology, and teacher of taxidermy; Caroline White, German and English; Ruth
C. Mills, A.B., Latin, French and literature; Fannie L. Bulkley, A.B.,
mathematics; Virginia Dox, English; Sarah Clark, penmanship and class drawing;
S. B. Clark, painting, drawing, etc.; L. M. Kendall, musical director; B. F.
Dearborne, principal of vocal department; Denise Dupuis, Clara A. White,
Isabella F. Jones and Elizabeth A. Barber, music; Virginia Dox, singing class;
C. A. White, elocution. Additional teachers in music employed during the year.
Mr. W. F. Browning, department of telegraphy; Mrs. F. A. W. Shimer, financier;
Mrs. S. M. Howard, matron; Mrs. A. M. Faulkner, housekeeper.
Description of Buildings, Etc.
There are four buildings, as has been elsewhere described, all so connected as
to give the appearance of one building, presenting a west and north front of 256
feet. The first or original building gives a dining room, 42 by 46 feet, on the
first floor. The second floor is used for library, office, reception room, and
music room. Third floor for society and reading room, and private rooms. Fourth
floor for private and trunk rooms.
The second and third buildings give, on the first floor, school and recitation
rooms, 32 by 70 feet, and four private rooms for young men, some six or eight
being received in the manual labor department, for the convenience of their work
about the buildings and grounds, all the advantages of the school being afforded
them, the same as to the young ladies. The second and third floors are occupied
for private rooms, and the fourth floors for studio and for music practice
The fourth building, which is just being completed, has on the first floor a
kitchen, wash room, dry room, ironing room, furnace room, foul air room, work
shop, private rooms for employees, six dry earth closets, slop closet, and dry
earth vault and closet, the whole ventilated by the same system as the entire
building, and thus kept perfectly free from offence, as any part of a well
ventilate building need be. The value of these arrangements, in a sanitary point
of view, can not well be overestimated. The second floor has conservatory,
principal's rooms, sick and nurses' rooms, bath rooms, and water closets and
slop closets on one side of main hall. On the opposite side, the entire length
of the building (100 feet) is devoted to parlors and rooms for the musical
conservatory, the space being divided into five rooms, each communicating by
folding doors, making a most spacious music hall, when thrown into one room. The
third and fourth floors are devoted to private rooms for students, all of which
are neatly furnished, carpeted throughout with Brussels and three-ply carpets,
beds (all with best woven wire mattresses), and all the possible conveniences of
drawers, closets, cupboards, etc. Bath rooms, water and slop closets on each
floor. The fifth floor has eleven practice rooms for music, a sun-bath room,
five trunk rooms, and tank rooms, furnished with a thirty-five barrel tank for
hard or well water, and the same for cistern water. The water supply is
complete, and of the best and purest water. The hard water is from a well one
hundred and thirty feet deep, about fifty feet being in solid rock and the
remaining eighty feet tubed with heavy galvanized iron. Thus there is no
possibility of surface water or any impurities whatever getting into the well.
The cistern water supplied to the soft water tank is from nine very large
cisterns, connected by pipes at the bottom. The two cisterns receiving the water
from the different buildings are furnished with the most complete filters, built
in of brick covered with charcoal, gravel, sand, etc. Thus the soft water tank
is supplied with pure filtered water. The water is raised by pumps worked by
wind power. The wind mill, with a sixteen feet wheel, is built immediately over
the well, and near the line of the cisterns. The pumps are so set that the mill
works both pumps at the same time, thus quickly forcing an abundant supply of
water to the fifth floor of the building described. The wind-mill house is a
neat octagon structure, all enclosed, with siding painted, and furnished with
windows and blinds. It is separated into three stories, making convenient rooms
for tools, etc. From the tanks in the attic, the water, both hard and soft, is
carried to closets on each floor, thence to the basement, where the soft water
is heated in two eighty-gallon circulating boilers, connected with the kitchen
range, and, by its own pressure, returned (both the hot and cold soft water) to
the bath rooms on each floor and to the rooms of the first building erected. The
different bath rooms are furnished with metallic and rubber tubs for plunge
baths, wood tubs for Sitz baths, Brown's steam tub for electrical vapor baths,
and a complete shower bath, hot or cold, as may be desired. The system of
plumbing is complete - no lead or galvanized pipes being allowed, to convey
impure water to poison stealthily, but surely, those using such water - the
warming, ventilating and sewerage all being as nearly perfect as is often found.
The well water is also carried under ground to the gardens, supplying fountains
and hydrants for all needed garden uses. The warming and ventilating is on the
Ruttan improved system. The furnaces being so constructed, it is impossible to
make the outer casings red-hot, and consequently the air is never "burned," thus
obviating the objection urged against heating by furnaces.
The supply of pure air from direct outside flues is abundant. This is amply
warmed (not burned) by contact with outer cases of furnaces, and from this goes
direct to an iron reservoir, about eighty feet long by five feet wide and two
feet deep, and from this reservoir supplied to the nine stacks of brick flues,
each stack having seven or eight independent flues, each of which supplies heat
to a room. Every flue has a damper in the basement, which system of dampers, in
connection with the registers in each room, gives perfect control of the heating
of the building. Every room is furnished with a thermometer, which the occupants
are expected to observe, and when the temperature is seventy degrees Fahrenheit,
the register is to be closed. If it falls to sixty-five degrees with register
open, the occupant can report to fireman and more heat will be supplied. Thus, a
very nearly even temperature (conducive alike to health and comfort)
May with very little air be enjoyed at all times.
The system of ventilation deserves special mention. All the floors through the
building are hollow, as also the main partitions from attic to basement. Under
every window is a space of perforated base, which gives an opening from every
room and hall to the hollow under the floor, which communicates with the hollows
in the partitions, and is thus carried down to the foul air room in the
basement, which opens directly to a ventilating chimney, some three by six feet
in capacity, opening out at the apex of the roof. Thus, the draft of this great
chimney upon the entire volume of air in the building naturally tends to exhaust
the same from the building. The ventilating openings being at the base of room,
where the coldest air and foulest air tends to accumulate, this is of course,
the first to be drawn off, and the pure air from outside, freshly warmed, is
drawn upon to supply the air exhausted.
Thus, as the rooms warm, which they do very rapidly (almost instantaneously on
opening the register), and warm air is drawn off by this great chimney draft and
passes through the hollows under the floors and down the hollow partitions, the
warmth is given out to the floors and partitions, till the entire building is of
an equal temperature, the floors and ceilings of the rooms being within a degree
or two of the same temperature - a great improvement on the old plan of
stove-heated, unventilated rooms, where the "head is baked and the feet frozen."
With this system of complete ventilation, capable of changing the entire
atmosphere of the building every thirty to sixty minutes, it is apparent that
there is no need to open windows, exposing to cold currents, but on the
contrary, however closely the windows and doors are kept closed, the more
perfect will be the ventilation. Hence, every means are used to make the
building close. The walls of brick are thick and hollow, and then furrowed and
lathed, to secure warmth and dryness. The windows are all furnished with double
sash and outside blinds, all of which contribute to the warmth. In short, this
system of warming and ventilating can scarce be improved upon.
The sewerage, as well as closet arrangement, should be noticed, as the
healthfulness of a large number together is so directly dependent on the
successful arrangement of these details. The slops from kitchen, laundry, bath
rooms and private rooms are all emptied into iron sinks in the different
closets, etc. suitable, and thence conveyed by iron pipes down from the building
into cement sewer pipes laid deep under ground, and thence to a ravine some
fifty rods from the building. The waste water pipes are all abundantly supplied
with stench traps, and, to make the whole more secure, ventilated by carrying a
tin flue from the upper end of the waste pipe out by chimney to top of building.
Thus, there is no possible offence, no poisoning the air or earth to be conveyed
into the water, at some remote time to cause epidemics, etc.
With such complete sanitary arrangements, may not the Mount Carroll Seminary
continue to enjoy the immunity from sickness it is already noted for? An
elevator conveys all baggage from basement to any floor required. Clothes flues
and dirt flues convey all clothes to the laundry, and all dirt to the dirt
closet in the basement. Thus, with the added conveniences of water and slop
closets on every floor, very much of the running up and down stairs, often
objected to, is avoided. The entire buildings are fitted for gas. The gas house
of brick is about eight rods from the seminary, where the gas is manufactured
for lighting. It may be added that the first (oldest) building is also fitted
with furnace and with water supply, and it is the principal's plan to have
either furnaces or steam introduced into the first and second additions, another
For exercise, in addition to the ample grounds and the floored grape arbor 300
feet long, we will notice the piazzas running the length and width of the first
building, and length and width of last building, giving 500 feet for promenade,
which is thoroughly enjoyed by the young ladies.
We have been thus minute in our description, because it is all, except the first
of the four buildings, the work of a woman, she being the financier, the
architect, the contractor, the builder, or superintendent of the entire work
from day to day, nothing done "by contract," all by day's work, in every
department, from the quarrying the rock for the foundation to the finishing
stroke of the painter and the final furnishing. No board of trustees to advise -
no male adviser in any department or any way. Let women learn to be
self-reliant, and go and do likewise. In addition to the buildings, the same
woman has made the grounds what they are. Beginning with five acres of naked
ground, not a tree or shrub upon it, not even a fence to enclose it, she added
to it till now there are 25 acres, enclosed with hedges and ornamental borders
of evergreens and varieties of deciduous trees; planted with vineyards and
orchards, embracing every variety of fruits grown in this latitude; flower
gardens laid out and planted; walks, play-grounds, game grounds provided for;
macadamized and graveled drives laid; arbors, with shady seats; fountains set;
all projected; material procured, and work done under the immediate supervision
of this same woman. Her own landscape gardener, orchardist and planter, every
tree and shrub and plant passed through her hands, placing nearly every root in
the ground herself, with, in most cases, inexperienced boys to do the digging,
etc. During these years of laying out grounds, and planting hedges and trees,
being at all times financier, book-keeper, secretary, treasurer, steward and
general overseer, this same woman must carry on her improvements out of doors
through the day, and attend to the duties of her various other offices at night,
thus much of her life taking only four or five hours' sleep of the twenty-four.
If a change of cooks was necessary at any time, this same woman filled the
vacancy for weeks, or till suited with a new one. If the cook was sick, as
sometimes may happen, this same woman became cook and nurse. Such was the
experience of the many of the early years of this enterprise. Say not that women
are dependent. Every girl in our country should be educated to be self-reliant,
and capable of being self-sustaining. Till this is the aim of every school for
young ladies, our institutions are sadly deficient.
Have never been encouraged or fostered to any extent. The organization of the
Hydraulic Company, about 1851-2, had for its object the manufacture of alcohol.
About that time spirit lamps were generally in use, and it was claimed by the
projectors and managers of the Hydraulic Company, that an alcoholic distillery
here would afford the farmers a profitable market for their surplus corn, while
the distillery would prove a regular "bonanza" (the term was not in use then,
however) to those who would invest therein. Investments were made, and the
distillery was started, but by some sort of hocus pocus arrangement, the alcohol
manufactured was not confined to the purposes claimed when the company was being
organized. There were a few good men, among them Father Irvine, who had a
suspicion from the start that it would not end well - that the distillery would
be diverted to other uses than the making of alcohol - or, that at least the
alcohol would not all go towards supplying the spirit-lamp demand. So a watch
was kept on the establishment, and some of its barrels tracked away from the
distillery and back again, and it turned out that the alcohol was taken to
distant refineries, re-handled, turned into a good article of corn whisky,
brought back and sold to different individuals - some of it, perhaps, returning
to the farmers who had raised the corn from which it was made. This discovery
created a furore of excitement. Good men - members of churches - were interested
in the concern as stockholders, and to excuse themselves, they claimed that
after the production left the distillery, and was sold to other parties, they
were not responsible for the uses to which it was put. But the excitement could
not be controlled. It increased and extended. Friends of long standing became
alienated, and finally the concern was abandoned, after having involved the Mill
Company and some others in financial troubles that bore them down.
In 1853, John Tridel started a foundry and commenced the manufacture of stoves,
plows, etc. in 1854, a Mr. Kellogg became a partner, and afterwards John Nycum
and Henry McCall, Senior, were admitted as partners. The business was continued
up to 1866, when the enterprise was abandoned.
Messrs. Widney and Walker started a fanning mill factory, in 1855, and did a
good business for five years, when, the outlook becoming somewhat clouded, they
"shut up shop."
The old mill is now under the proprietorship and management of Jesse M. Shirk,
Owen P. Miles, and Nathaniel Halderman, under the firm name of Shirk, Miles &
Co. This firm was organized in September, 1864.
J. P. Smith, wagon maker and blacksmith, commenced operations 1854 or 1855, and
with the exception of the time he was in the army - going out with the first
company and coming back with the last - has been in the business all the time.
He is a good workman, employs none but number one mechanics, and turns out the
best of work.
J. W. Miller, carriage maker, commenced operations about the year 1872. He is
said to be a superior workman, and that carriages of his make bear favorable
comparison with those of any other establishment in the state. His shops are
small, but steadily increasing in size and capacity.
H. C. Blake, a son of Orleans County, Vermont, came here in 1864, and after
engaging six and a half years in carrying the mail and staging it between Mount
Carroll and Polo, in 1870, commenced a general blacksmithing business, making to
order any thing needed in that line. His business is steadily increasing, and
enlarged shops, greater capacity, and more workmen, are necessities of the near
P. B. Cole is well established as a blacksmith and woodworker, and when times
were good conducted a large and lucrative business. At one time his business was
the largest in the Plum River country. For the last few years his attention has
been more directed to the improvement and culture of his farm than his shops.
Brickmaking - This is the largest manufacturing industry prosecuted in Mount
Carroll. James Hallett, practical brick maker and mason, came here in 1847, and
at once engaged in the business of making brick, and has continued in the
business to the present without interruption. In the Spring of 1848, his brother
B. H. Hallett, became a partner with him, and until 1867, they remained together
as brickmakers and builders. In April, 1867, the partnership was dissolved, B.
H. Hallett withdrew from the business, and James continued to operate in that
line. His kilns are located in the northern part of the city, where an abundance
of good clay is of easy access. All of the prominent buildings in the county are
built of Hallett's make of brick, including the Seminary, Court House, Public
School Buildings, etc. In 1863 and 1864, he operated a yard at Lanark. Since the
last-named date, he has confined his operations in Carroll County to his Mount
Carroll yard. His average productions amount to 500,000 per year. In season he
gives employment to twelve to fifteen operatives.
The first newspaper started was the Mount Carroll Tribune, by Dr. J. L.
Hostetter in 1851. It was printed at Freeport, although it bore date and
purported to be published here. It only lived a few months.
In 1852, J. P. Emmert started the Mount Carroll Republican. Emmert sold out to
H. G. Grattan, in the Winter of 1853. Grattan was a good newspaper man and gave
the people a most excellent news journal. To his sagacity the people are
indebted for the inauguration of many of their early enterprises and their
prosperity. In 1855, Grattan sold the Republican establishment to D. H. Wheeler,
and is now a successful and prosperous farmer in Alamakee County, Iowa. Wheeler
continued the paper until 1857, when he sold out to D. B. Emmert. Emmert in turn
sold to Dr. J. L. Hostetter, and emigrated to Kansas [where he again embarked in
the newspaper business - his first venture in that line after arriving there
being the Auburn Docket. Subsequently, he became editor of the Fort Scott
Monitor, and a member of the Kansas Legislature, and in 1869-70-71 was Receiver
of the United States Land Office, at Humboldt]. Dr. Hostetter sold an interest
in the Republican office to Dr. E. C. Cochran. In the meantime, George English
had started the Home Intelligencer, and soon after Hostetter and Cochran became
associated as partners in the Republican, and arrangement was made by which that
paper and the Intelligencer were consolidated. Dr. Hostetter retired from the
business, and was succeeded by Messrs. English & Cochran, who named the
consolidated papers the Republican and Intelligencer. This arrangement did not
last long, the partnership was dissolved. English renewed the publication of the
Intelligencer, and Dr. Hostetter returned to the Republican. Mrs. Shimer and
Miss Gregory bought the office of the Republican from Dr. Hostetter, and one of
their teachers, named Silvernnail, and a printer student, named Ladd, edited the
paper a while, when it ceased to exist.
Mr. English kept his paper alive during the election campaign of 1860, during
which time Volney Armour, Esq., was its editor. Soon after the election,
however, its light died out, and the Intelligencer became a part of the history
of the past.
The Carroll County Mirror was commenced in 1858, by Alexander Windle and I. V.
Hollinger. Soon after the close of the war, Windle & Hollinger sold out to
Captain J. M. Adair, who continued to publish the Mirror up to Sept., 1874, when
he sold out to Joseph F. Allison, county treasurer. On January 14, 1875, Mr.
Allison sold the office to W. D. Hughes and A. B. Hollinger. In a few months
thereafter, Mr. Hughes, who was a practical printer, and who had been foreman
for Adair & Allison, bought out the interest of Mr. Hollinger, and has since
continued to manage the paper in the interest of the republican party. The
Mirror is a very excellent news journal and advertising medium. It maintains a
large circulation, and is devoted largely to the local interests of the
community in whose midst it is published. Mr. Hughes is not only an industrious
man, but a worthy representative of the "art preservative" - a republican in
whom there is neither variableness nor shadow of turning. He deserves and should
receive a largely remunerative support. Mr. Hughes has been ably assisted in his
editorial duties since Jan., 1877, by D. R. Frazier, Esq., a young man of more
than ordinary ability and energy. September 4, 1875, Frank A. Beeler, started
the Mount Carroll News. This venture did not turn out well, and the 6th of
April, 1876, the establishment passed into the hands of J. William Mastin, who
changed the name to the Herald, and hung out an independent banner. At a later
period, he issued a democratic pronunciamento, and gave the support of the
Herald to the candidates of that party, in 1876. January 1, 1877, Mr. Mastin
sold the office to Messrs. Hollinger & Sessions, who made it republican in
politics, and by whom it continues to be managed. The Herald is an eight-column
folio journal and is managed with creditable ability. Mr. Hollinger is a
practical printer of large experience, while Frank J. Sessions, the editor, is a
young man of brilliant promise for usefulness in the journalistic and political
fields. In all matters pertaining the public good, the Herald is fearless and
outspoken. Locally, it is spicy and vivacious. The energy and enterprise of its
management has commanded such respect as to secure for it a very large
circulation, which steadily increases with the Herald's age. Mr. Sessions
commenced newspaper work as local editor of the Cedar rapids, Iowa, Daily Times.
From that paper he went to the Weekly Times of the same city, so that he brought
with him to the Herald valuable experience. With Hollinger at the case, the
make-up, the press, the stone, and Sessions to editorially shape the Herald's
ends, the people of Carroll County have only themselves to blame if they do not
have a newspaper that would do credit to any county in the state.
Banking Interests - In the Spring of 1853, Emanuel Stover and J. P. Emmert,
under the firm name of E. Stove & Co., commenced a brokerage business. They
transacted a small exchange business up to some time in 1856, when the firm was
dissolved and the business discontinued.
The first banking house proper, was commenced by Dr. A. Hostetter, in 1855. Dr.
Hostetter was a graduate of the Pennsylvania Medical College, and came here in
1845, bringing with him a large stock of drugs, and opened the first
(exclusively) drug store in Mount Carroll, occupying a two story frame house on
the site now occupied by the Minor Block, the lumber for which was hauled from
Galena. After his bank had been in operation about one year (in 1856), he
admitted a man named Riest as a partner, and the firm was known as Hostetter,
Riest & Co. the business was discontinued in 1863.
The third bank was started in the Fall of 1856, by H. A. Mills and M. L. Hooker,
under the firm name of Mills & Hooker. It was called the Carroll County Bank. It
was a private bank of exchange, and its transactions were confined exclusively
to that line of business. About 1860, Mr. Hooker retired, but the bank continued
under the firm name of H. A. Mills & Co., the "Co." being Mills' wife. This
arrangement continued until April, 1864, when it lost its individuality in the
First National Bank.
This bank was organized April 2, 1864, with a capital of $50,000. James Mark,
president; H. A. Mills, cashier, and W. H. Long, teller. April 8, 1865, the
capital was increased to $60,000, and in October of the same year to $70,000.
January 11, 1870, D. Mackay was elected president, and H. Ashway vice president.
January 10, 1871, the capital was increased to $100,000. August 1, 1874, H. Long
was elected assistant cashier.
Present capital, $100,000; surplus, $20,000. The average deposits range from
$50,000 to $60,000.
Present Officers - D. Mackay, president; H. Ashway, vice president; O. P. Miles,
acting cashier; D. R. Miller, teller; Miss R. E. Roberts, book-keeper. Directors
- D. Mackay, H. Ashway, Uriah Green and John Kridler.
Hotels - The Chapman House, a stone building, is the oldest hotel building. It
was built in 1844, and has been so often mentioned in these pages that further
mention is unnecessary. It is now owned by Mrs. James E. Taylor, J. F. Chapman,
lessee and manager.
The Pratt House was built about 1845 or 1846, by James O'Brien. The original
building was not large - in keeping with Mount Carroll's outlook at the time. In
1856, the present proprietor, A. L. Pratt, bought the property, and about 1870
built an addition, increasing it to its present size and capacity.
The Jones House, in the Bank building, was opened in 1877 by A. Jones. For two
years previous to this date, Mr. Jones had occupied a part of the rooms now used
as a hotel, as a restaurant and boarding house.
Mount Carroll was first incorporated under the general law of the state, in
December, 1855. February 26, 1867, the present city charter was granted. The
first election under the new charter was held in April following. Nathaniel
Halderman was chosen mayor.
The temperance question was the dividing issue - license or anti-license. The
anti-license ticket was elected by 33 majority. In 1868-9 the license people
controlled a majority of the votes, and saloons were opened. In 1870-1-2 the
anti-license people gained a majority, and the saloons were closed. In 1873-4
the license party again triumphed, and saloons were permitted. Again, in
1875-6-7, the anti-license people came to the front, and the saloons were
compelled to close up.
Charles Phillips is the present mayor.
Suspension Bridge - Straddle Creek - Carroll Creek to ears polite - cuts a deep
channel from east to west, through the northern part of the city. On the north
side of it are handsome residence grounds, and when they began to extend out
that way where the deep, rock-bound channel cuts off a near approach from the
business part of town, the residents over there were forced to go down Main
Street via the mill, cross the creek below the mill dam, and then climb a bluffy
pathway to their homes. When J. F. Allison became circuit clerk, and settled
over there, he proposed to remedy the inconvenience, and inaugurated measures
that secured the building of a suspension foot-bridge. Together with Mr. M. A.
Fuller and H. C. Blake, they raised means, these three men providing the most of
it, and built the footway, shortening the distance between business and their
homes nearly half a mile. The bridge is 267 feet long, 40 feet above the water,
4 feet wide, and is suspended by two galvanized iron wire cables one and a half
inches in diameter. Its original cost was about $800. It is kept in repair by
private subscriptions, assisted in part by the city.
Market Fair - A monthly market fair association was organized in the early Fall
of 1877, and the first fair held on the 15th of December, which was a very fair
success, both in point of numbers in attendance, stock shown, etc.